9/11 mastermind KSM and two other terrorists awaiting trial on Guantanamo Bay strike plea deals

noumoe
Site Admin
Site Admin
Contacteer:

9/11 mastermind KSM and two other terrorists awaiting trial on Guantanamo Bay strike plea deals

Bericht door noumoe »

https://nypost.com/2024/07/31/us-news/9 ... lea-deals/

By Social Links forLarry Celona , Social Links forCaitlin Doornbos and Social Links forChris Nesi
Published July 31, 2024
Updated July 31, 2024
crop.jpg
The alleged mastermind of the Sept. 11 terror attacks and two other terrorists being held on Guantánamo Bay will plead guilty as part of a deal that’ll allow them to skirt the death penalty, prosecutors said Wednesday.

“The Convening Authority for Military Commissions has entered into pretrial agreements with Khalid Shaikh Mohammad, Walid Muhammad Salih Mubarak Bin ‘Attash, and Mustafa Ahmed Adam al Hawsawi, three of the co-accused in the 9/11 case,” an Office of Military Commissions (OMC) spokesperson confirmed.

The terror suspects will be spared the death penalty as part of the plea agreement, according to three relatives of 9/11 victims who were told about the deal by the OMC.

“I am very disappointed. We waited patiently for a long time. I wanted the death penalty — the government has failed us,” Daniel D’Allara, whose twin brother, John, was an NYPD cop killed in the attacks, told The Post.
Knipsel.JPG
OMC said the specific terms and conditions of the pretrial agreements were not immediately available. The deals are set to be officially announced Thursday and the guilty plea hearings will take place the week of Aug. 5.

The defendants, including accused plotter Sheikh Mohammed, stand accused of providing training, financial support and other assistance to the 19 terrorists who hijacked passenger jets and crashed them into the World Trade Center, the Pentagon and a field in Shanksville, Pa. on Sept. 11, 2001.
Knipsel.JPG
The three accused who have accepted a plea deal — along with Ali Abdul Aziz Ali and Ramzi Bin al Shibh — were initially jointly arraigned on June 5, 2008, then again on May 5, 2012, the Department of Defense said in a statement.

Victims’ families were outraged by the news that the death penalty was no longer on the table for the suspects, whose alleged actions killed nearly 3,000 in the worst terror attack on US soil in American history.

“I feel like I was kicked,” said retired police officer Jim Smith, husband of Moira Smith, the only female police officer who died on Sept. 11.

“The prosecution and families have waited 23 years to have our day in court to put on the record what these animals did to our loved ones. They took that opportunity away from us,” the anguished widower said.

“They committed the worst crime in the history of our country, they should receive the highest penalty.”

This is a developing story. Please check back for more updates.
Plaats reactie

Terug naar “9/11”