Ontario premier threatens to ‘shut off electricity completely’ for US if trade war escalates
Geplaatst: 11 mar 2025 22:42
Ontario premier threatens to ‘shut off electricity completely’ for US if trade war escalates
“If the United States escalates, I will not hesitate to shut the electricity off completely,” Ford told reporters. “Believe me when I say I do not want to do this, I feel terrible for the American people, because it’s not the American people who started this trade war. It’s one person who’s responsible. That’s President Trump.”
Ontario Premier Doug Ford at a press conference that he would move forward with a 25% surcharge on electricity exports to three US states starting Monday, warning that he will would turn off access if the United States adds new tariffs on Canadian goods.
Ford on Monday said the 25% surcharge “will cost families and businesses” in New York, Minnesota and Michigan and add around “$100 per month to the bills of hardworking Americans.”
But it would also hurt Canada’s energy industry, in turn. Canada, which is far more dependent on US exports than America is on Canadian goods, risks plunging into a recession if the trade war escalates. As the saying goes: no one wins in a trade war.
https://www.cnn.com/2025/03/10/business ... index.html
“If the United States escalates, I will not hesitate to shut the electricity off completely,” Ford told reporters. “Believe me when I say I do not want to do this, I feel terrible for the American people, because it’s not the American people who started this trade war. It’s one person who’s responsible. That’s President Trump.”
Ontario Premier Doug Ford at a press conference that he would move forward with a 25% surcharge on electricity exports to three US states starting Monday, warning that he will would turn off access if the United States adds new tariffs on Canadian goods.
Ford on Monday said the 25% surcharge “will cost families and businesses” in New York, Minnesota and Michigan and add around “$100 per month to the bills of hardworking Americans.”
But it would also hurt Canada’s energy industry, in turn. Canada, which is far more dependent on US exports than America is on Canadian goods, risks plunging into a recession if the trade war escalates. As the saying goes: no one wins in a trade war.
https://www.cnn.com/2025/03/10/business ... index.html